Nurse Call Light Fatigue Solutions In the Hospital Explored.

For decades,  patients could get a hold of their hospital floor nurse by pushing a nurse call button in their room.  A light or noise would beep at the nurses station and hopefully someone would respond to patients' needs in a timely manner. But as nurses got busier with higher patient volumes, more complex therapies and interventions and greater time constraints with EMR data entry, nurse call light response times have suffered greatly.    One of the biggest complaints patients often have are nurses who take too long to answer their call light.  However, all that changed with Facebook's universal infiltration into the workplace.   No longer does nurse call light response time dissatisfaction have to destroy all those covert AIDET efforts.  How you ask?  These original Happy nurse ecards help provide insight into issues about nursing call light management.

"Please send me a Facebook instant message if you want me to answer your call light, for real."

Please send me a Facebook instant message if you want me to answer your call light, for real nurse ecard humor photo

Some hospital administrators already understand the difficulty in retaining well trained nurses.  Turnover can be expensive.  Efforts to keep great nurses from leaving the trenches can have returns on investment that would make any Wall Street banker salivate.  What's important to nurses?  Survey after survey has shown nurses are most satisfied when they can limit patient interruptions while completing their charting expectations.   What does that mean?  It means nurses are most satisfied when their call lights are disabled.

As a result, some hospitals have gone to a 9 am - 5 pm nurse call light schedule.  No longer will patients be allowed to interrupt nursing charting and gossip time for the sake of patient satisfaction.  Many administrators now realized keeping patients happy is impossible.  They are willing to sacrifice Medicare dollars on the back end to minimize retaining and recruitment expenses of a stable nursing work force.    These Happy original nurse call light ecards below help explain:

"On my nursing survey, I asked for limited call light hours to allow us more time for charting.  Oh, and gossip too."

On my nursing survey, I asked for limited call light hours to allow us more time for charting.  Oh, and gossip too nurse ecard humor photo.


At MY hospital, I use an Ativan stress test protocol to stabilize all my patients with call light abuse exacerbations."  See the complete collection of sedation ecard humor now!

At MY hospital, I use an Ativan stress test protocl to stabilize all my patients with call light abuse exacerbations nurse ecard humor photo.


Oh, and on a similar, but slightly different issue is the issue of patient safety as it relates to confused patients. Many hospitals employ special devices called Tabs units that ring a loud bell if a patient tries to get out of bed without assistance. Because falls in the hospital are a never event, hospitals and nursing teams employ a combination of tactics to try and stay on the good side of Medicare and the Joint Commission. It's not the bed alarm that will keep a patient from falling. It's the nurse that runs faster than fast to the bedside when they hear the alarm, assuming they haven't been stricken with alarm fatigue. Some nurses are quicker than others, as this original medical humor e-card explains.

"If nursing was an Olympic sport, I'd get last place in the bed alarm speed trials.  Just so you know..."

Olympic bed alarm speed trial nurse ecard humor


"The waitress gets you a glass of water and you give her 15%.  I clean your ass, scrub your feet and sprinkle vag powder in unholy places and you yell at me?  WTF?"

The waitress gets you a glass of water and you give her 15%.  I clean your ass, scrub your feet and sprinkle vag powder in unholy places and you yell at me?  WTF? photo. Medical Humor Store Banner

To view this ecard product selection, turn off the “content filter” function on the left hand side of the Zazzle store linked above.



"As an RN with a double major in Butler Sciences, I figure I can get a job just about anywhere in healthcare."

As an RN with a double major in Butler Sciences, I figure I can get a job just about anywhere in healthcare nurse ecard humor photo.


"I'm sorry I couldn't answer your call light in a timely manner.  I was too busy charting that I couldn't answer your call light because I was busy charting."

I'm sorry I couldn't answer your call light in a timely manner.  I was too busy charting that I couldn't answer your call light because I was too busy charting nursing ecard humor photo.


"I promise to to gossip at work today.  --- said no nurse ever."

I promise not to gossip at work today said no nurse ever ecard humor photo. Medical Humor Store Banner


"I see you're proud of winning the call light rodeo last shift.  Let's see how well you do with Too Old  To Give A Crap About Your S**t, RN."

I see you're proud of winning the call light rodeo last shift.  Let's see how well you do with Too Old To Give A Crap About Your Stuff, RN nurse ecard humor photo.


"I got 5 patients asking for Dilaudid.  Ain't nobody got time fo dat."

Dilaudid ain't nobody got time for that nurse ecard humor photo


"I'll answer your call light as soon as I'm done charting your pain in my ass scale."

I'll answer your call light as soon as I'm done charting your pain in my ass scale photo.


"Nursing is all about give and take.  You give me a hard time and I'll take my sweet time to answer you call light."  Make sure to checkout the complete collection of give and take medicine!

Nursing is all about give and take.  You give me a hard time and I'll take my sweet time to answer your call light nurse ecard humor photo. Medical Humor Store Banner


This post is for entertainment purposes only and likely contains humor only understood by those in a healthcare profession. Read at your own risk.

Print Friendly and PDF