Forgot To Take My Thyroid Pills. Should I Take a Double Dose? What Should I Do?

I just got done writing about the possible link between CT contrast and thryoid damage and I realized that I'm getting close to the end of my three month refill for my own thyroid medication.  It looks like it's time to  conveniently refill my prescription using my Walmart $4 drug list iPhone app.  I also  noticed that I've got an additional six pills left  in the bottle taking me well past the renewal date on my prescription.    Oops!  That can mean only one thing.    In the last three months I forgot to  take my levothyroxin (generic Synthroid) on at least six different occasions. 

That's a shame.  Heck, if I can't remember to take one pill once a day how can I expect many of my patients to take 10, 15, 20  or more pills on multiple occasions throughout their day?   How can we expect our heart failure patients to make it through to day 31 to avoid the dreaded unpaid 30 day heart failure readmission rules coming shortly from the Medicare National Bank..  Even free heart medications won't keep these folks from bouncing back.  

It's obvious to me I forgot to take my thyroid pills.  What should I do know?  Should I take a double dose daily until I'm back on schedule?  Should I just let it slide and be a bit off on my renewal schedule.?  I think I'm going to take a double dose daily for three days until I've caught up on my schedule.  I might  take two at a time or I might take my additional thyroid dose at night instead of the morning.   I haven't yet decided.  Some studies even suggest dosing once a week thyroid medication is just fine and dandy as well.

I don't know if there is any hard fast rule about what to do in these situation.  I'm sure that's what most of the general public thinks as well.  I'm sure some folks will skip the dose.  Some will take double their dose and some folks will call their doctor, get a voice mail, leave a message for the nurse and get called back at 5:15 pm the next day with information on what to do, after they've either already doubled their dose or skipped it entirely.  Personally, I don't think there is any harm in taking an extra dose if I forget previously.

Here's a little Synthroid ecard humor for your enjoyment.

"So sorry you had to use vacation hours to get your Synthroid refilled."

So sorry you had to use vacation hours to get your Synthroid refilled ecard humor photo


This is not medical advice for you.  Call your doctor for advice. 

Print Friendly and PDF