Indications For Dialysis? Remember A-E-I-O-U Says The Medical Student.

What are the indications for urgent dialysis?  According to my medical student I'm working with, you just have to remember A-E-I-O-U?

A-Acid/Base disorders
E-Electrolyte
I-Intoxication
O-Overload of volume
U-Uremia

That's what I like about third year medical students.  They don't always know clinical answers, but they're darn good at answering pimp questions that involve lists and medical mnemonics.  This list of indications for dialysis using the A-E-I-O-U vowels of the alphabet was a new one for me.  One of my favorite mnemonics I still remember to this day from studying for my Step 1 exam was the differential diagnosis of eosinophilia:

N-Neoplasm
A-Allergy
A-Adrenal Insufficiency (Addisons)
A-Autoimmune
C-Connective tissue disorder
P-Parasite

NAAACP.  That's how you remember your stuff.  What is your favorite medical mnemonic?

UPDATE:  The miracle of American has now given us a special filter to cure noncomplaint hemodialysis patients of their chronic wasting my time syndrome.  This  renal ecard helps to explain what may be coming soon from the miracle of dialysis technology.

"I wish dialysis machines had special filters to cure noncompliant hemo patients of their chronic wasting my time syndrome."

I wish dialysis machines had special filters to cure noncompliant hemo patients of their chronic wasting my time syndrome doctor ecard humor photo.

Some of this post is for entertainment purposes only and likely contains humor only understood by those in a healthcare profession. Read at your own risk.  


Print Friendly and PDF