I'm Allergic To Prednisone. It Makes My Tongue Swell.

Happy:  Ma'am.  I noticed you have an allergy listed to prednisone. 
Ma'am:  Oh, I can never take prednisone again.  I'm allergic to it.
Happy:  Really?  Huh.  What happened when you took prednisone?
Ma'am:  It made my tongue swell up real bad.
Happy:  Huh.  What did they give you to reverse the allergic reaction?
Ma'am:  Some sort of steroid through my IV.

I'm having a hard time imagining any physiological basis for an allergy to prednisone treated with intravenous Solumedrol, another form of steroid, much more powerful than prednisone.    Steroids, on a long term basis, can have devastating side effects.  Short term, high dose steroids can wreak havoc on blood sugar management, interrupt sleep patterns and cause delirium in folks with underlying schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.  I am confident most people who state prednisone as an allergy probably had a side effect and not a true allergic reaction.  Prednisone or its intravenous variations are the treatment of choice for allergic reactions.  Perhaps these allergies are really just reactions to a  component in the pill and not the prednisone itself.    I suppose that's possible.  Or perhaps they just have a raging case of systemic  fibromyallergia.  That could explain the prednisone allergy too.  What do physicians think about patients with allergies to prednisone?  These original Happy Hospitalist  medical ecards help explain.

"Your prednisone allergy makes me break out in hives.  Just so you know."

Your prednisone allergy makes me break out in hives.  Just so you know nurse ecard humor photo.


"The only person who really believes you have an allergy to prednisone is that one cat lady on your fibromyalgia forum."

The only person who really believes you have an allergy to prednisone is that one cat lady on your fibromyalgia forum ecard humor photo


This post is for entertainment purposes only and likely contains humor only understood by those in a healthcare profession. Read at your own risk.  


Print Friendly and PDF