How To Take Thyroid Medication (Synthroid or Levothyroxine)

A reader asked the question on how to take their Synthroid or levothyroxine:
Why is it important to take my levothyroxine at the same time every morning? Perhaps I would be more motivated to meet this requirement if I understood it.  Also, the instructions say not to eat anything for 30 to 60 minutes after taking it. What about fluids? Can I drink water? Diet coke? Milk? What exactly am I trying to avoid?
First of all, I don't think it is necessary to take levothyroxine at the same time every day.  Is it necessary to take it in the morning or evening everyday?   It isn't but doing so will increase the likelihood you will remember to take it every day. New 2010 research suggests you can take thyroid medication at night.

The half life of levothyroxine approaches seven days. Some studies have suggested that taking  once weekly Synthroid or levothyroxine may have some therapeutic benefit for compliance issues.  Say I accidentally took a double dose of my Synthroid.  I've done this before if I took it in the morning and couldn't remember.  Should I worry?  I wouldn't worry about any long term consequences.  I may skip my following day or I may go ahead and take it.  I don't think it will make much clinical difference in the end.

While I'm not your physician and nothing I write here is considered medical advice for anyone, I can tell you that I don't believe that the average Joe is harming themselves by varying their Synthroid dose throughout the day or if they accidentally took an extra dose of of their thyroid medication.

I myself take levothyroxine at a dose of 137mcg per day (which is about 1.6 mcg/kg, the recommended dose of levothyroxine or Synthroid). On occasion, when Mrs Happy forgets to remind me, I will take a double dose the next day. I will take the pill at night when I normally take it in the morning.

It's important to take it on an empty stomach ( I go with no food or drink for one hour after taking it) so that its absorption is not affected. There may be some absorption issues if you take it with other meds too. You'd have to look that up.

Print Friendly and PDF